Judgment, also spelled judgement, in all legal systems, a decision of a court adjudicating the rights of the parties to a legal action before it. A final judgment is usually a prerequisite of review of a court’s decision by an appellate court, thus preventing piecemeal and fragmentary appeals on interlocutory (provisional) rulings. While court orders are famed for their legalese and often long-winded conclusions, sadly, even those who have never had to seek legal recourse also have to suffer incomprehensible prose in other sphere.The making and the writing of a judgment and the style in which it is written, varies from Judge to Judge and reflects the characteristic of a Judge. Every Judge, of every rank has his own distinct style of writing. But the fact of the matter is that the reportable judgements from constitutional courts are written in such a language mixed with a Latin legal terminology that even advocates/ law students have to refer to the law dictionary, forgetting the common people of land. The judge, justice system, courts, judgements or decrees are all for the interest of the general public at large.
What are the issues with court judgments?
- Long Judgements: Judgments passed by the Supreme Court are mostly lengthy. There are various reasons which decide the length of court judgments. It can be due to complexity of issues, cases lodged under various Acts. Other reasons can be strenuous criminal/civil cases. Also, when avoidable citations and quotations are added from the historians, this makes the judgment lengthy. The courts and judges of India are respected all over the World. People salute to their level of wisdom and intelligent verdicts. But, we must also accept the reality that the Even lawyers finds it extremely difficult to understand the entire judgment. They are reluctant to read the whole judgment as it is considered as a highly lengthy process.
- Inclusive of legal terminologies: The judgments include vast legal terminologies which a layman person finds difficult to decode. He/she is required to study a lot in order to understand a particular sentence comprising legal language.
- Enhanced use of double or triple negatives: This is another factor that makes time consuming for readers to understand the judgment. It compels the readers to engage their mental faculty which could have been avoided. For example – “We are not saying that we don’t consider the facts.” This line has a lot of negatives which often become difficult for a person to understand.
But not to worry, with iDRAF, long judgments are easy to read! Legitquest launches iDRAF: Now Read Judgments Effectively Legitquest is one of the leading Delhi based start-ups which harnesses Artificial Intelligence based technologies to help lawyers find the Issue,Reasoning decision,facts and much more passed by the Supreme Court ,High Court & Tribunal . Legitquest has started its own search feature, called iDRAF which uses simple language processing (NLP) to take out all the relevant details related to legal cases.
What is iDRAF?
iDRAF is a one click judgment evaluation system which helps you read all the details of particular cases. Powered by Artificial Intelligence (AI), iDRAF makes sure that long judgments are now easy to read. Here are the important features of iDRAF. In order to understand it firmly, let’s take support of an example - Indira Gandhi Vs. Raj Narain, 1975
- Issue: All the issues are compiled in this particular tab, all you need to do is to simply click the one for which you seek wide information. After clicking it, you can read all the important information about Indira Gandhi Vs. Raj Narain, 1975.
“Raj Narain was the political contestant against Indira Gandhi during 1971 Lok Sabha General Elections for the Rae Bareilly Constituency. Indira Gandhi had won the election and Congress, with a majority and won the House. However, after the outcome of the elections, however, Raj Narain filed a petition before Allahabad High Court alleging that Election malpractices had been carried out by Indira Gandhi.”
- Reasoning: All the logics related to cases are embedded into this tab. A person can simply click it to read all the facts about the case. Say for the case “Indira Gandhi Vs. Raj Narain, 1975”, a person can read the given reasoning. “On 12 June 1975, under Justice Jagmohanlal Sinha,the High Court of Allahabad found Indira Gandhi guilty. It was claimed that she misused state machinery u/s -123(7) of the representative of Peoples Act, 1951.”
- Arguments of petitioner: The portal also provides an option to access all the arguments of a petitioner. Like in the case of “Indira Gandhi Vs. Raj Narain, 1975”, here are the arguments. “The petitioner said that Indira Gandhi cannot serve as the nation’s prime minister, and that she was cannot run in elections for another six years as she misused the state machinery.”
- Arguments of respondents: Arguments of respondents can also be availed easily through this portal. Just click on it and gather all the important information. “Aggrieved by this decision, Indira Gandhi went to the Supreme Court to appeal this judgement of the Allahabad High Court.”
- Decisions: This feature consists of all the final decisions given by the panel of judges related to cases. “Indira Gandhi was found guilty. It was pointed that she used corrupt practices for election by the Allahabad High Court. This made several amendments to the Constitution which ultimately removed all the grounds on which she was charged guilty. Finally, Justice Yeshwant Vishnu Chandrachud said that the amendment was found to be in violation of the Separation of Power concept as it carefully transferred a pure judicial role into the hands of the legislature.”
- Facts: All the important facts related to the case are also recorded under iDRAF. Readers who simply want to know about the features of the case can click on this tab. The facts for this case are given below: “The Supreme Court of India had applied the theory of basic structure. It accordingly struck down Clause (4) of Article 329-A which was inserted by the 39th Amendment in 1975 because it is beyond the Parliament’s amending power, as it destroys the basic structure of the Indian Constitution. Judges said that the amendment was also in violation of Article 14, as it created an unfair role for individual members against others.”
- Case Cited: In this tab, people can find all the past court case decisions, either in series of books called reporters or law reports, or in a neutral style that identifies a decision irrespective of the fact that where has it been reported.
“In this case, all the past verdicts related to voting disputes will emerge.” Other important features:
- Upward/Downward arrow: After opening a particular tab, you can use upward/downward arrow to scroll down through the entire page.
- Night mode/Day mode: Day mode is the default mode; however, it can be changed into night one, if one wants to read the content clearly with a dark base and the words written in white.
- Notes option: With this option, the reader can make notes while reading through the whole content.
- Share option: While reading if you find any logical content, then you can share it instantly on various social media pages.
- Print option: Some people like reading on hard copy and marking important points with highlighter to retain the content in a better way. With iDRAF, we offer printing options, so that printed copy of the content can be taken out instantly.
Benefits of using Legit Quest iDRAF portal:
- Time saving: Instead of reading 40 to 50 pages of judgment, iDRAF drafts the whole content in the concise form which helps the reader to save time in understanding the whole verdict.
- Easy language: Court’s language is generally technical and it becomes quite difficult to understand it by a layman person. With iDRAF, lengthy judgments are easy to read. Thanks to the brevity of sentences and choosing non complicated words.
- Convenient to use: All the important information related to cases can be easily accessed with just one click, be it - reasoning, arguments, judgments etc.
- Sorted content: Sometimes, the readers don’t feel like reading the whole content related to the particular case. They intend to read a particular section, like: just a decision or reasoning or a fact. So, here at iDRAF portal, lengthy judgments are easy to read, one can simply click on the particular section and read the required content. Instead of wasting time in searching the required information.
For whom iDRAF plays an important role?
- Law students
- Practicing lawyers
- General public who want to increase their legal knowledge
How to access iDRAF usage?
- Register yourself with us: Choose the right plan and register yourself with us. We assure you of the right pricing, and no setup or hidden fees will be charged.
- Fill a form: Fill a form with important details and contact sales.
- Our executive will contact you: Once you fill the form, our executive gets the notification and he/she reaches to do the needful.
- Getting sign in Ids: After completing formalities related to payment, the team provides the sign in Ids - Username and password.
- Access information: The user uses sign - in option and accesses information related to the cases. The user can harness various tabs like - cases, judgments, reasoning etc. Once a person selects a particular tab, the content gets highlighted which allows the person to read it carefully.
So, contact Legitquest today and access iDRAF - legal verdicts get organized like never before!